12.05.2013

Why I’m Donating to Wikipedia: A History Teacher’s Perspective



Every year when Wikipedia does its fundraising drive, I shy away. It reminds me too much of NPR fundraisers, and the fundraisers I had to run at my college radio station. But, this year is different. I'm donating. Here’s why:

1) I use it multiple times a day. I would say I average about three wikipedia pages a day. Without it, I simply wouldn't be able to plan my lessons as easily as I do. My first year out of college, equipped with an American Studies degree, I taught four courses: two sections of Ancient History, and two sections of Modern European History. Needless to say, I was swamped. If I had to rely solely on the textbook in my classes (an all-boys school), I would have been run out of dodge. Wikipedia led me to information and images that allowed me to keep class interesting daily. There were evenings when I would get lost in wikipedia.

2) I teach my class the way I do, knowing students can find information about what I’m teaching on wikipedia. There’s an expression to describe a 21st century learner the I heard recently from my Department Chair called “Google Jockey.” I want my students to google while I lecture. Sometimes I specifically ask them to "wikipedia" something. If they find information there that helps move discussion, I’m all ears.

3) There’s something powerful about a non-profit asking for money to keep outside interests from imparting their funds and ideas onto their site. And I’d love to see them win.

So, I’m off to donate.

Dear Wikipedia,

Enclosed you’ll find my $15 for the dynamite encyclopedia you created. It is the oil that lubricates the engine that powers learning in my classroom.

Even after sending this $15, I still owe you a tremendous debt of gratitude.

Sincerely,
Mr. Green
Teacher, 10th and 11th grade history